Sunday, August 15, 2010

Big Parades

Went to do a show for a good friend the other day- He is a local folk/rock musician who has enjoyed a fair amount of success- Over 300,000 albums sold and hundreds of sold-out and near-capacity concerts in nearly every state and several foreign countries.
I've been doing this gentleman's shows for over 15 years now, in every capacity you can imagine- Sound Guy, Light Guy, Stage Manager, Catering Guy, Gopher, Security, Driver, Electrician, CAD Artist, Nanny, Scenic Designer, Bodyguard, Roommate, etc.

Well the other day I contacted him and let him know that I was available and interested in helping out with his big summer show- a flashback-type show, with the playing of his complete first album and most of the second. This is the era of his career that I was around to experience and I really like this music.
He gladly accepted my offer of assistance. I was working for dinner, and maybe a little bit of merchandise- although I have it all already, don't need any more.
I went with no expectations, but it did produce a bit of apprehension, since some of the band members were guys from the old days who I hadn't seen in many years.
Things went well, one of the best shows I've ever seen him play. And I've seen hundreds. Really. Literally hundreds. This was fantastic.
A couple days after the show, he sent me a note thanking me for my help. He's very gracious and friendly, and it was nice to have the appreciation.

Here's the email I wrote to send him in reply:

Pete-
Thanks for the message.
Once I heard about the retro-show, I was interested in helping out.
My schedule these days doesn't allow for as much playtime as it used to, but it's nice to squeeze it in when I can. I am always on the hunt for a good night of entertainment- and honestly, that's all I wanted was to see the show.
Once we arrived, it felt like being home- I have to agree with you that it might be the best ever Sandy show and I feel that it may be one of the best shows of all-time.
It was really nice to talk to the band- reminiscing with them about all the shows of the olden days. I realized talking to Ensign that I've known you guys for nearly half my life, and it's been a whirlwind ride. Being around the humor, the old friends and the good people made the evening very enjoyable.
I fear that I'm getting too sentimental about this, but of all the moments in all the shows I've done, seeing Paul Cardall onstage, the sparkle in his eyes- that was one of the most incredible things I've ever seen. He has the same look in his eyes that my young friend Jake, a cancer survivor, has in his. And experiencing it makes me feel good.
We are of the age that we have friends and family that are leaving us, and to see someone who has fought and is winning, that makes me feel good. That's why I do this, that's what it's all about.
Drive This Road and Fool in the Tavern were exceptional as well. Fool might have been the best ever, I absolutely love the 'What About' coda that you do in that one.
Your music, working on your shows- these events have helped shape me, to temper the otherwise chaotic life I lead. Your music has been a huge element of my life, and it's always an honor to help out, to see the music touch and affect others like it does me.
I might be your biggest fan, and it's an honor to call you a friend.
Here's to many many more great experiences.
~P

And now, here's the email I sent:

Thanks Pete.
I really had fun and hope to be able to do it again sometime soon.
Please let me know if you have any shows where I might be able to offer assistance.
~P

2 comments:

A Few Tacos Shy... said...

Silly, you should have sent the first one!

Anonymous said...

Men are silly creatures (actually I would have done the same thing Pete). Although I'm sure it would have made his day to read the first one, the second was still nice... and short. I like nice and short.