Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Where Were You?

Where were you the day that David Bowie died?

These familiar chords. These honest, simple words. The genuine homage to a person who meant so much. It may seem hyperbolic, but the events of January 2016 will stick with me forever.

It started on Thursday evening, I was in the bathtub soaking away my tension and stench. I hopped on to the Spotify and Blackstar was available!!! (a few hours early, but I'll thank the miracles of technology for that.) I promptly topped off the hot water, refreshed the bubbles and lit a few candles.
The one thing that stood out, more than anything, was the strong resignation and acceptance of his mortality. It was dark, but honest. As I prefer things to be.

I then spent the weekend running around Seattle with Ms. D, first at a Bowie theme night- also a celebration of Elvis Presley's birthday (appropriate since Bowie is a HUGE Elvis fan), then a day of running around buying records and such (including a copy of Blackstar), visiting my inspirational and wonderful cousin Mary, and then a night with David J and Barton Carroll- where they offered a night of wonderful music coupled with a solid warning: "This is the day that your life will surely change"



On the night, David J hadn't heard Blackstar yet, but we chatted about it and he was planning a listening session that evening. ...In the basement in the dark I heard his album...
Met and chatted with a few cool people, made some plans to take over the world- standby for an update on that.
On Sunday morning, we got up and went to visit Jimi Hendrix, who is a Seattle native and is buried there. Joshua was a huge Hendrix fan, as well as a pretty decent left-hand guitar player.
Spread some bits of Joshua's Tree there.














After some meditation and relaxation, I flew home.

That night (Sunday) I was going to listen to my Blackstar vinyl. I opened it, I perused the booklet, I touched the supple paper and plastic and vinyl. 45 years, 27 solo albums, this is the first one that doesn't feature Bowie or a facsimile of him on the cover. I note this immediately.


But I didn't spin the disc. I was tired and went to bed exhausted, but happy.
In the middle of the night a text from D: "NNNNNooooooooooooooo!!!!" I was confused and went back to sleep. A dream: Joshua visiting me, being simultaneously happy and sad.
4am I awaken with a start. I think: "No what? What does NNNNNoooooooooo!!! mean?" I inquire. Before the reply arrives, I get on the social medias and see D's post about Joshua having a good jam partner now. Look up here, I'm in heaven...
My heart sinks. I know. I now know exactly what is happening. The signs are all there. He gave us a message and with perfect timing, he closed the door on this life. (See the Lazarus video for a quite detailed illustration of his goodbye, including the actual closing of the door)

Suddenly, the gravity of the whole thing hit me. A couple of hours later, my kids found me in the dark living room, vinyl spinning, curled up on the couch sobbing. My candles were burning, and the smell of Joshua Tree smoke was heavy in the air. 
One look at me and my daughter burst into tears and joined me in a moment of deep remembrance. 
It took weeks for the (star)dust to settle. Honestly, I'm still not the same. It sticks with me, as these things seem to do. 
David J wrote a wonderful song about his experiences that weekend. His account of the experience is well-documented and quite poignant. 
I've seen him play this live a bunch of times and it truly stops time and space. On one occasion while sharing a musical experience with some dear friends in a far-off northern town not shy of rain, David was playing this and mid-song he gasped and seemed to drop into a trance. Only later did he share what had happened- This is the view from the stage. Those eyes. That soul. That life. That energy. 

Elvis- (1960)
Every man has a black star
A black star over his shoulder
And when a man sees his black star
He knows his time, his time has come

So where was I the day that David Bowie died? Right where I always find myself:
Locked firmly between the nostalgia of a sepia-toned past and a sparkling dreamy future.

There's a good description of David J's feelings and experiences regarding the passing of Bowie, as well as a video featuring his song HERE.

Note: All quoted lyrics are used in honor of and deference to the creation rights of the writers.
Also, please purchase The Day That David Bowie Died 

No comments: