Saturday, March 7, 2009

Nostalgia Scares Me

I spent some time in the old 'hood today.
A brief walk through the old neighborhood market was somewhat lame. The place was far smaller than I remember. But it still smells the same.
I actually was a customer at that store the day that it opened in 1980. We spent many hours prowling around the parking lot, morning noon and night.

The problem is: as I walked around the store, I felt that the people there were tired, old, snobbish and shallow. Except for the lady that let me cut in front of her cart o'plenty with my 3 items- she is cool. But seriously- I saw at least 20 people with checkbooks in hand. Do people still use checks?

Is this really where I come from? Do I really claim this place?
I found myself becoming apprehensive and wanting to run away screaming. So I did. calmly and quietly.

Now I'm faced with the stress of deciding what all this means, which is not unlike the dilemma I faced when adding friends to Facebook over the last year or so: I lose sleep over catching up with old acquaintances. I literally fear having to talk to people I haven't kept up with. I have a few dear friends that I've maintained contact with over the years- they are cool. But the people who are back on the scene are not necessarily welcome.
The biggest Facebook Phobia I have is mixing all my friends, work associates, family, etc into one pot. I have a bit of cross-pollination going on, and it really freaks me out. My lovely wife calls it 'Mixing the Pudding' and the concept terrifies me.

No comments: