Wednesday, April 20, 2011

I've Seen It All

So I'm a bit of a music freak. I love music, old new, most types. My preference leans hard toward the nostalgic stuff- New Wave from the 1980s. That's what I grew up on, it was the soundtrack of my coming-of-age.
A short timeline:
I was into Michael Jackson and the top 40 of the day back in 1983 or so. The top 40 then was a strange mishmash of country, rock, new wave, prog-rock, rap and soul.
Somehow got a clue that I needed to hear this tune 'Tour de France'. I went to Musicland in the mall, the clerks didn't know anything about it, nor could they find it in their huge printed catalog (remember the big yellowbooks?)
A helpful customer pointed out that the song was by a band called 'Craftverk' he also let me know that the store actually had a 12" single in stock. So I bought it. Still have it.
That song was the bridge that showed me there was something more.
The actual song that changed my life was 'Bring on the Dancing Horses', but that's a story that has been told before. I'm thinking now about other things I heard around that time, mostly on KOHS: 'Love Vigilantes' 'Rise' 'South Central Rain' and a couple of strange tunes: 'E=MC2' and 'Medicine Show' by a strange band called Big Audio Dynamite. I knew there was some kind of famous guy in this band, but I didn't know who/how/why it mattered. B.A.D. quickly became one of my favorites.
Fast Forward about 9 years, I still loved B.A.D... Time to name my kids. The first boy was easy: Ian. That's the name of so many people I admire and respect.
The second came pretty easy as well. Mick Jones. (Actually he's Jon Mickay, but from birth intended to call him Mick- then he became Jon- although he still answers to Mick)
Mick Jones (that lives at my house) is 16 now.
Mick Jones (from The Clash, B.A.D. and Carbon/Silicon) is 55 now, a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for his work with The Clash, and still lives in London.
Mick was convinced to bring B.A.D. back to life to play some festivals this year. The first date announced was Coachella in California- The remainder of the US tour was merely 2 dates: LA and New York.
I got an email from someone close to the band (I'm on some mailing lists and have communicated with people involved with this group a few times over the years) that there were still a few tickets available for the NYC show on April 19, 2011.
I quickly counted up my pennies, checked my frequent flier mile balance and my hotel travel perks. It was going to be possible...
Monday, fly to NYC- arrive at 11:45pm
Tuesday, travel into the city to explore, adventurize and enjoy a little entertainment. I saw Times Square, again.


I saw a funky cathedral for the first time (Even went inside and it didn't explode from the added weight of all my evilness.)

After a hefty dinner, joined the queue.

Here's the poster in the window of the venue.

Roseland Ballroom, capacity 3200ish
We get there early, buy some schwag and take a place in the crowd. On the rail Stage Right, immediately in front of Don Letts. Normally I spend my time on the Stage Left side of the stage, a habit I picked up watching New Order and Love and Rockets in the 1980s. I can make an exception.
Gig was played.


Band was good.



I sang every word and according to the people around me, giggled like a schoolgirl throughout the show.

Last year, after being yelled at for not singing by Johnny Rotten, I resolved to sing more at gigs.


Even danced a little.



This is the biggest thing I could have ever seen, the last possible thing on my list that I've never seen (I'd love to see Joy Division or The Clash, but the dead guys prevent that.)
Picked up a piece of personalized schwag, wandered out into the street and stumbled home.



I am reminded of my audition for 'The Sound of Music' in 1988, when Chester and I auditioned with a rocking version of 'C'mon Every Beatbox.' garnering both a standing ovation from the audition audience and offers of leading roles in the play. (For the record, CW played Mick Jones and I was Don Letts)

I never got to do things like this until I separated myself from the influence of my parental units. I feel compelled to do things like this now.
It soothes a wound that I can't describe.
And the wound is closing. Drying up. Shrinking. If I keep it up I'll be all fixed up just in time to die of old age or unfortunate circumstances.

Out.

1 comment:

A Few Tacos Shy... said...

Sometimes stretching our wings is the best medicine :-)