Monday, May 23, 2011

The Modern World.

I'm absolutely amazed at the information that flows about in the modern world.

You see, I'm a bit of a music fan and it gives me joy to gain insight into the private and personal goings on of the artists that I admire.

Twitter, Facebook, the WorldWideWeb, Email and texting have replaced printed newsletters and postcards.
The best thing is that we can get these updates in real-time.

I've had pretty personal contact with some of my favorite artistes.
Via Twitter: Silent Bob, His Holiness The Dalai Lama, Karl Bartos of Kraftwerk, Tony James of Generation X/Sigue Sigue Sputnik/Sisters of Mercy/CarbonSilicon.
In the old days (Email) I had correspondence with Elizabeth Fraser, Simon Raymonde and Robin Guthrie of ye olde Cocteau Twins, Midge Ure and Bono.
Postcards/letters/etc? I have signed stuff from Midge Ure, Natalie Merchant, All the Sex Pistols but Sid, Big Audio Dynamite and a few more.

I find it strangely comforting to know that Nick Laird-Clowes is still around, and getting his updated vacation updates is kind of relaxing.

No comments: